Wednesday, August 23, 2017

God’s Attributes as to Creation


Understanding God is understanding His essential nature. This is who God is.  

August’s Awakening, Day 23

            We will begin our discussion of God’s thirty-two attributes by breaking them down into three broad categories—God’s attributes as to creation, God’s attributes as to time and space, and God’s attributes as to moral beings. Remember, this is just a guideline to help in our mental organization, not a dogmatic dissertation.

            For each attribute, we will give a brief description and in most cases, a Scripture reference to support the designated attribute. There are six attributes as God relates to His creation—omnipresence, omnipotence, omniscience, immutability/constancy, infinity, and necessity/actuality.

            Omnipresence. God is present everywhere. As God is spirit, He is not limited by time or space or that which He has created. As He is not limited by anything, He is ever present everywhere.

 

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. Psalm 139:7–12 NIV 

 

“Am I only a God nearby,” declares the Lord, “and not a God far away? Who can hide in secret places so that I cannot see them?” declares the Lord. “Do not I fill heaven and earth?” declares the Lord. Jeremiah 23:23–24 NIV  

 

            Omnipotence. God is all powerful, there is nothing greater than Himself, and nothing that He is unable to do.

 

Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26 NIV  

 

Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: “Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns. Revelation 19:6 NIV 

 

            Omniscience. God knows all actual and all possible things. He knows every variable, every possible event, every outcome of every possible event, what was, what is, and what is to come. No minute detail escapes Him or is unknown by Him.

 

You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Psalm 139:1–6 NIV   

 

He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit. Psalm 147:4–5 NIV

 

And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Matthew 10:30 NIV 

 

Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’ Isaiah 46:9–10 NIV

 

            Tomorrow we will complete the last three attributes as God relates to His creation.

Author Web Page Link

No comments:

Post a Comment