Saturday, June 3, 2017

Prayer and Fasting (Prayer Hinderers Continued)


Here’s the final part of our spiritual wellness checklist. It’s a good thing to check it often and keep yourself in check.

June’s Awakening, Day 3

Spiritual Wellness Checklist—Prayer Hinderers (Continued):



7. Neglect of Others. [Ignoring the needs and well-being of others, especially when you have the ability to help them in tangible ways.]   

Whoever shuts their ears to the cry of the poor will also cry out and not be answered. Proverbs 21:13 NIV 



For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ Matthew 25:42–45 NIV 



8. Disregard for God’s Word or Sovereignty. [A prideful attitude putting your knowledge and self-appraisal equal to that of God.]

If anyone turns a deaf ear to my instruction, even their prayers are detestable. Whoever leads the upright along an evil path will fall into their own trap, Proverbs 28:9–10a NIV   



Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight. Isaiah 5:21 NIV 



those who are pure in their own eyes and yet are not cleansed of their filth; those whose eyes are ever so haughty, whose glances are so disdainful; Proverbs 30:12–13 NIV 



9. Unsurrendered Will/Stubbornness. [Knowing but resisting, or an unwillingness to change or do the right things that you know you should do.]

“But they refused to pay attention; stubbornly they turned their backs and covered their ears. They made their hearts as hard as flint and would not listen to the law or to the words that the Lord Almighty had sent by his Spirit through the earlier prophets. So the Lord Almighty was very angry. “‘When I called, they did not listen; so when they called, I would not listen,’ says the Lord Almighty. Zechariah 7:11–13 NIV 



Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23–24 NIV



10. Not Honoring One Another. [Our interpersonal relationships are important to God—how we relate to Him, those closest to us, and all humanity.]

Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers. Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” 1 Peter 3:4–5, 7–9, 12 NIV 



11. Indifference. [A flippant, uncaring, nonchalant attitude gets you precisely what you give.]

But since you refuse to listen when I call and no one pays attention when I stretch out my hand, since you disregard all my advice and do not accept my rebuke, I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you; I will mock when calamity overtakes you—when calamity overtakes you like a storm, when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind, when distress and trouble overwhelm you. “Then they will call to me but I will not answer; they will look for me but will not find me, since they hated knowledge and did not choose to fear the Lord. Since they would not accept my advice and spurned my rebuke, they will eat the fruit of their ways and be filled with the fruit of their schemes. For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them; Proverbs 1:24–32 NIV 



12. Impatience. [We are called to patient perseverance and to wait on His timing—God is never late or wrong.]

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Psalm 37:7 NIV 



Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him. Isaiah 64:4 NIV



But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently. Romans 8:25 NIV    



            We ourselves, are the greatest obstacle to what God has for us and in hearing His voice clearly. We need to do a spiritual checkup often and objectively—our connection with Him and experiencing the fullness of what He has for us demands it. 

Author Web Page Link


No comments:

Post a Comment