Sunday, January 14, 2018

Revolutionary Resolution


     Well, it’s that time again when many of us make well intended, albeit superficial, resolutions for this new year. We resolve to exercise more, eat nutritionally, be the better person, and be more successful, but oftentimes, these noble resolutions fail to make it through the year. Here’s a novel idea—how many of us resolve to become more spiritual and closer to God for this upcoming year?

     Note what famous Bible commentator Matthew Henry wrote in his journal on January 1, 1705, hundreds of years ago, yet timeless still:

 

“Not renouncing, but repeating and ratifying all my former Covenants with God, and lamenting it, that I have not lived up more closely to them; I do in the beginning of this New Year solemnly make a fresh surrender of myself, my whole self, body, soul, and spirit, to God the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, my Creator, Redeemer, and Sanctifier, covenanting and promising, not in any strength of my own, for I am very weak, but in the strength of the grace of Jesus Christ, that I will endeavour this year to stand complete in all the Will of God.

 

I know this is the Will of God, even my sanctification; Lord grant that this year I may be more holy, and walk more closely than ever in all holy conversation; I earnestly desire to be filled with thy holy thoughts, to be carried out in holy affections, determined by holy aims and intentions, and governed in all my words and actions by holy principles. O that a golden thread of holiness may run through the whole web of this year.”

 

     A radical, revolutionary resolution. Maybe we should take note. Maybe, this year, we should resolve to implement the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment